Let us spread the great news that Dorothee Elmiger’s latest book, OUT OF THE SUGAR FACTORY (Hanser 2020), has found a new home in Sweden.
In her new book, Dorothee Elmiger is on the trail of capital, labour and lust.
- shortlisted for the German Book Award 2020
- shortlisted for the Swiss Book Award 2020
- nominated for the Bavarian Book Award 2020
- rights sold to Sweden (Nirstedt litteratur) and France (under negotiation)
- by the recipient of the Swiss Literature Prize, the Erich Fried Prize, the Rauris Literature Prize and the Aspects Literature Prize for the best German-language prose debut
If the connections between world events should suddenly be wiped out, we would be grateful to find Dorothee Elmiger’s book to help us understand what happened in the past. Its subject: the cycles of capital, labour and lust. Its form: a journal full of observations, surveys and investigations.
„My skills never end“ is the slogan on the T-shirt of a worker receiving his wages. Switzerland’s first lottery millionaire stands on the beach of a Caribbean island looking out to sea. At night, goats crowd around the writer’s bed. Dorothee Elmiger tracks down money and desire through the centuries and the world. She writes biographies of mystics, the insatiable, gamblers, orgiasts and colonialists, studies the routes of ships on the Atlantic, records dreams and cases of ecstasy and madness. Out of the Sugar Factory documents this research in a text that opens our eyes to the complexity of the world.