The book was nominated for the German Book Award 2020, shortlisted for the aspekte Literature Prize for Best Debut Novel 2020 and receives wonderful press here in Germany. Whole-heartedly recommended if you haven’t had a chance to read it, yet: Olivia Wenzel’s 1000 COILS OF FEAR (S. Fischer)!
- Rights sold to UK (Little Brown) | US (Catapult) | Denmark (Turbine) | Netherlands (Bezige Bij) | NEW Norway (Solum Bokvennen)
- Nominated for the German Book Prize 2020
- Nominated for the „aspekte“-Literature Prize 2020 for the best German-language debut
- City of Fulda Prize for the best German-language debut
- Selected by New Books in German
»Olivia WenzelÕs strange and unsettling debut completely captures
the zeitgeist, tackling all the most pressing topics of our age: race,
politics, feminism, motherhood, sex, history, global terrorism,
nationality, love and death.« New Books in German
»Author Olivia Wenzel finds a completely new language for her first-person narrator – a stunner!« SPIEGEL
»literarily confident. [Olivia Wenzel] does not leave anything out, that is the lasting impression of this impressive, relentless, tender novel.«
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
Olivia Wenzel, born in Weimar in former East Germany in 1985, read Cultural Studies and Aesthetic Practice at the University of Hildesheim and now lives and works in Berlin. She writes drama and prose and makes music as Otis Foulie. Wenzel’s plays have been performed at leading theatres like Munich’s Kammerspiele, Hamburg’s Thalia Theater, Deutsches Theater Berlin and Ballhaus Naunynstrasse. Alongside her writing, she runs workshops for children and young adults. 1,000 Coils of Fear is her first novel.